Glasgow Institution for Promoting and Encouraging the Fine Arts in the West of Scotland, Founded 1821
Founded the 1st of March 1821. First exhibition opened 6th of August 1821. This information is printed on the front cover of the 1821 exhibition catalogue.
For further information about the Institution, please see: George Fairfull-Smith, The Wealth of a City: A ‘Glance’ at the Fine Arts in Glasgow, Volume One: 1641-1830, 2010.
- Individual societies
Glasgow Institution for Promoting and Encouraging the Fine Arts in the West of Scotland. This is the name printed on the title-page of the 1821 exhibition catalogue.
Glasgow Institution for the Encouragement of the Fine Arts in the West of Scotland. This is the name printed on the title-page of the 1822 exhibition catalogue.
- People associated with societies
Members of the Institution in 1821: The Hon. J. T. Alston, Lord Provost; H. Monteith, Esq. of Carstairs, M.P.; John Buchanan, Esq. of Ardoch, M.P.; John Horrocks, Esq. of Tillehewan Castle; K. Finlay, Esq. of Auchinwillin; Robert Findlay, Esq. of Easter Hill; James Ewing, Esq.; Alexander Garden, Esq.; Charles Stirling, Esq. of Cadder; James Fyffe, Esq,; William Monteith, Esq.; H. Houldsworth, Esq. of Cranstonhill; William Dunn, Esq.; Thomas Graham, Esq. Younger, of Whitehill; Charles Stirling, Junr. Esq.; Alexander Campbell, Esq.; Robert Chapman, Esq.; T. D. Douglas. Esq.; Theodore Walrond, Esq.; Robert Hagart, Esq.; Colin Campbell, Esq.; Mungo N. Campbell, Esq.; R. D. Alston, Esq.; James Davie, Esq.; Peter Smith, Esq.; Nicol Brown, Esq. of Waterhaughs; Archibald Bogle, Junr. Esq. of Gilmour-Hill; John Kerr, Esq.; J. Haldane, Esq.; James Oswald. Esq. of Shieldhall; Alexander Finlay, Esq.; William Turnbull, Esq.; Andrew Templeton, Esq.; P. Robertson Reid, Esq.; David Graham, Esq.; James Cook, Esq.; James Lumsden, Junr. Esq.; George Finlay, Esq.; William Brown, Esq.; John Finlay, Esq. Younger, of Auchinwillin; James Smith, Esq. of Jordan-Hill; William Smith, Esq. of Jordan-Hill; and Robert Scott, Esq.
Above names are in the 1821 exhibition catalogue.
First exhibition opened on the 6th of August, 1821. The second opened on the 23rd of May, 1822.
Mr. Finlay’s Gallery, 2 South Maxwell Street, Glasgow. This was the venue for the Institution’s two exhibtions.
Catalogues for the 1821 and 1822 exhibitions.
- Newspaper and magazine references